Sunday, August 30, 2009

Who Should a New Church Target?


This morning we met at Agape and had a service/worship.


What is service/worship? Lincoln High School has given us a plot to care for. We chose to worship by working together to clean the school. It was a lot of hard work. We had communion afterward and talked about how we saw God working.

  • I was surprised at who showed up.
  • I was also amazed at who chose not to show up.
  • Actually, now that I think about it I'm not surprised at who showed up.


It is interesting. This week I shared with people what we were doing Sunday. I've had a lot of conversations with people, mostly those in the community, and shared with them what we were going to do today. The responses amazed me.


People who go to church:
  • "Why would you do that?"
  • "Why are you dismissing services?"
  • "Is there any need to come?"


People who don't usually go to church:

  • "That's cool, it's good to see a church doing that."
  • "Wow, I can't believe a church would actually do this."
  • "Thanks for doing this, more people should care about others."

Now I know why we target people who don't usually go to church.

We had 5 visitors. They stayed to help. One of the couples was from out of town. They went to the hotel, changed their clothes, and came and served with us. They joined us for communion.

I understand why Jesus said what he said in Matt. 12:41.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

We missed being with you but we had a great time with the folks at the assisted living facility. I think we're going to make it a regular activity.

ryan said...

Renovatus has done the same thing the last two years and it has been hugely transformational. What better way to communicate that we're serious when we say that service is worship than to "prove" it with our set aside Sunday worship times!
I love what Agape is doing and I love calling y'all one of our sister churches.